- We here at tekMate are fans of the Chromebook. They provide a simple, and cheap, computer for people who don't want to be Computer Scientists, and just want a computer to be a simple and useful tool.
- The ChromeBook advantage:
- Cheap - New Zealand prices range from around $350 to $600 (around $US200-250 if you buy online).
- Minimal set-up - You need a Google account, then just plug it in, set your Wifi password and sign-on.
- Simple - it's just a Google Chrome Web Browser. No backups needed. No anti virus needed. No checking for updates. No additional software to purchase. Just use it.
The only disadvantage is that you can't run much 'standard' PC software - unless it is on the web. That's where we come in - we can show you how to do most things, usually for free (the software - not us!).